North Korea test-fires an ICBM capable of hitting the entire US

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) – North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile that landed near Japanese waters Friday in its second major weapons test this month, demonstrating its potential ability to deliver a nuclear strike across the US mainland. The US immediately condemned the launch and vowed to take “all necessary measures” to ensure the safety of its territory and its allies South Korea and Japan. Vice President Kamala Harris met with the heads of Australia, Canada and New Zealand, as well as those countries attending a regional forum in Bangkok to discuss the launch and said, “I once again urge North Korea to stop further illegal and destabilizing activities. On behalf of the United States, I reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the Indo-Pacific Alliance,” Harris said at the start of the conference. “The countries present here will continue to urge North Korea to engage in serious and sustained diplomacy.” It comes as China and Russia oppose US moves to tighten UN sanctions to curb North Korea’s nuclear program. The Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that it detected an ICBM launch from the North Korean metropolitan area around 10:15 am on the same day. Japanese Defense Minister Yasukazu Hamada said that depending on the weight of the potential warhead, it could cover the entire US mainland if the range exceeds 15,000 km (9,320 miles). Spokesman Adrian Watson said the launch “unnecessarily raises tensions” and demonstrates that North Korea is prioritizing its illicit weapons program over the well-being of its people. “Pyongyang must immediately stop its shaky diplomatic actions and choose to engage instead,” Watson said. Japanese Prime Minister Kishida Fumio, speaking at the opening of the summit in Bangkok, said the launch was “absolutely unacceptable”, saying the missile had landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Western Hokkaido. Prime Minister Han Deok-soo said the international community should work together to make North Korea realize that its provocations only exacerbate international isolation and economic difficulties. Late Friday, the South Korean military said F-35 fighter jets conducted a training exercise simulating an aerial strike against a North Korean mobile missile launcher at a shooting range near the land border with North Korea. A group of eight fighters from South Korea and the United States said they conducted separate flight training off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula. The Joint Chiefs of Staff said through this exercise, “We showed a strong determination to decisively respond to any provocations and threats, including North Korea’s ICBM launch, and the allies’ overwhelming ability and readiness to strike the enemy with precision.” Earlier, South Korean President Yoon Seok-yeol instructed officials to strengthen security cooperation with the United States and Japan and implement unspecified deterrence measures previously agreed with Washington. According to Minister Yoon’s office, he reportedly instructed his officials to push for strong international condemnation and sanctions against North Korea. North Korea also launched an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on November 3, but experts said the weapon failed to fly as intended and fell into the sea. step separation. The test was believed to involve a developmental missile called Hwasong-17. North Korea has two different types of ICBMs, the Hwasong-14 and the Hwasong-15, and test launches in 2017 showed they could potentially reach parts of the US mainland. Its size suggests it is designed to carry multiple nuclear warheads to defeat missile defense systems. Some experts believe that the test on November 3 has made some progress, considering that the Hwansong-17 exploded right after takeoff in the test before last March. In recent months, North Korea has conducted dozens of short-range missile tests called simulated nuclear strikes against South Korean and US targets. But North Korea stopped firing weapons for about a week before launching a short-range ballistic missile on Thursday. Prior to that launch, North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui threatened to launch a “strong” military response to any steps taken by the United States to strengthen its security commitments. Minister Choi mentioned that President Joe Biden met with Chairman Yoon and Chairman Kishida at a recent regional meeting in Cambodia. In a joint statement, the three leaders strongly condemned North Korea’s recent missile tests and agreed to work together to strengthen deterrence. Former Vice President Biden reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to defending South Korea and Japan with all capabilities, including nuclear weapons, and Congressman Choi did not comment on what action North Korea might take, but “the United States will be well aware that it is a gamble.” ” he said. You will definitely regret it.” North Korea said the recent series of weapons launches were in response to allegedly provocative military exercises between the United States and South Korea. Military force against the United States and its allies North Korea has been subject to several UN sanctions for previous nuclear and missile tests. However, the new sanctions did not apply this year as they conducted dozens of ballistic missile launches banned by UN Security Council resolutions. Washington is locked in a strategic race with China and confronting Moscow over an invasion of Ukraine. Bangkok-based AP reporter Krutika Pathi contributed to this report.
#North #Korea #testfires #ICBM #capable #hitting #entire

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *